Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas 2012.

i hope you all had an amazing holiday celebrating Jesus' birth (if you celebrate)! i had a wonderful time with my family.

my Christmas Eve was full of the usual traditions, which i love!

pictures with Santa... at 18 and 20 years old. we're just cool like that. ;-)


lunch at in-n-out with daddy


and then my brother and i baked a batch of my grandma's sugar cookies - they're the best sugar cookies in the world! they disappeared so fast that they evaded my camera.

after that i went to church with the fam


and then we came home and had our (unpictured) traditional crackers + cheese + meat tray for dinner!

Christmas morning was i was up bright and early to get cooking on a special breakfast. i LOVE breakfast so Christmas morning breakfast is always one of my favorites! i made Martha Stewart's Mushroom-Cheddar Fritatta with a few modifications. since my dad & brother aren't so keen on broccoli in the morning, i split the recipe into two square pans and put all the broccoli on my side. i also added 2 eggs and 4 egg whites, and 1/4 cup milk to the egg mixture, as well as crumbling in a few pieces of bacon into each pan.


they turned out really well (minus being *slightly* overcooked - while they were baking i was working out in our little home gym with my momma so I didn't pull them out quite on time)! we also had Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and pigs in a blanket - Christmas morning staples in our house - as well as pomegranate arils and OJ.



not to mention this bomb-diggity coffee creamer... the stuff is so good!


after breakfast it was time to open stockings, which is what i was most excited about because this year i was in charge of the stockings. my family has always had most food-based stockings so i had a ton of fun shopping and picking things out for everyone - food shopping is the best! 

everyone loved their stockings & i'm quite excited to dig into all of my goodies. lots of nut butter, protein bars, coffee, chocolate, granola, TJ's treats, and a few other things! 


after stockings we opened some presents and then headed over to visit my grandparents in their assisted living home. [insert yogurt + granola snack here] we chatted with them and my aunt, uncle, and cousins for a few hours and then made the drive back home to finish up presents. 

[insert leftover fritatta and baked pumpkin oatmeal here]

i think one of my favorite presents was the cat toys we got our kitties because watching them go crazy was hilarious! 



some highlights of my Christmas were getting a baby coffeemaker for my dorm room (so excited about this, even though it's not exactly allowed ;), a replacement iPod shuffle for working out, some new music, a few cute tops, and workout gear from Lululemon! my mom picked out a few things for me (run for your life crop, heart opener tank) and i had picked out a pair of wunder under pants because i've been oogling those for a long time. i'm currently wearing them and they're so unbelievably comfy i don't think i'm ever taking them off! i also got this awesome water bottle:


if you can't read it, the back of the water bottle says "because i like muffins (not muffin tops)". makes me laugh :) 

after we finished up presents, it was time for dinner! my dad smoked a turkey (he makes the best turkey, hands down), i made mashed potatoes and gravy, and my mom had made my grandma's homemade rolls. these rolls are my kryptonite. but seriously. i have never had anything that compares - so fluffy and doughy and just freakin delicious. 

no room for veggies on my plate because a) i was too lazy to make them and b) i needed more room for extra rolls in my tummy!


just look at that fluffy deliciousness! 
my plate:

plus three more rolls because they're just THAT good. hey, i only get them once a year, so it's go big or go home! 

i also had some see's candy and a small bowl of ice cream for dessert because no day is complete without dessert in my world. 

& in the spirit of WIAW (and since i have some eats i haven't gotten the chance to show you guys yet) i thought i'd share some yummy eats from the past few days. 


salad with rotisserie chicken, lentils, mushrooms, and white bean hummus
vitality bowl (acai strawberry banana smoothie base topped with granola, strawberries, and bananas)
starbucks gingerbread latte... times like 10. these are so good!
quinoa, lentil, and broccoli bowl with cheddar and parmesan
bowl of ice cream while watching a Christmas story
amy's vegetable barley soup bulked up with spinach, quinoa, and cheddar cheese
a huge froyo while out shopping. marshmallow & cookies and cream flavors with graham crackers. HEAVEN.
homemade cheese ravioli (with mushroom and alfredo sauces) that my dad picked up as a special treat! 
sticky fingers pumpkin scones with a drizzle of honey. 

today has been spent mostly relaxing, getting a good workout in (BodyPump and the stairclimber), and eating up delicious leftovers :-) later in the afternoon i'm going to go to the movies with my family!

what was a highlight of your christmas? 
favorite holiday treat?

12 comments:

  1. Yummmm what a delicious day of food! I love what you said about the rolls. No shame. I'll eat at least 4 popovers on Christmas and Thanksgiving. Go big or go home is right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously drooling. Can I come to your house for Christmas next year and eat all your food? Please and thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. DYING to try an In-N-Out Burger when I go out to Cali. I heard they are better than Five Guys!
    Merry be-lated Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love In-N-Out! I haven't eaten there in over a year. =(
    But, wow, your Christmas food looks delicious. I don't blame you on the dinner rolls either. They look so soft and fluffy.
    My highlight of my Christmas was going for a run with my dad before it started raining.
    Merry Be-lated Christmas! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy crap look at that foodie goodness, man I wish I got something like that. so happy you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh In-n-Out, that place never gets old :) Man, your eats look stellar! Everytime I come home from school, I feel like I get bombarded with such amazing food and you just can't say no to that! Enjoy your break girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look gorgeous!!! Love that you sat on Santa's lap :) Looks like you had an amazing time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I cannot even remember the last time I sat on Santa'a lap..... LMFAO! I am thinking I may need to sit on a Santa... OH wait, he's in hibernation now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness... the photos of food is amazing. I got stuck on the In-and-Out photo... it got good after that, too, but damn I love me their double-double with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. see now you were smart to split the frittata into 2 pans with different toppings. my sister in law isn't huge about mushrooms - i should have varied it a little or made two with different toppings. next time i know! merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I might be slightly jealous of your Christmas. Everything looks and sounds fabulous: Going to the church with the whole family (mine isn't too keen), Santa pictures ;), all of the food ... I like your attitude of not feeling the need for extra vegetables when there are biscuits. Aren't biscuits some new kind of vegetables in anyway ;)?!

    Haha, I SO get not wanting to change out of your new workout gear anymore. I sweat I spend at least half an hour - complete understatement here - in them after every run. Sorry I'm not sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great food, good presents, family time...a wonderful way to spend the holidays <3

    ReplyDelete