Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Smoothie Issues

This morning I decided to make a smoothie for breakfast so it would feel like it's closer to summer... even though we've still got pretty gloomy weather!

Most of the time my smoothies end up being the same "type", I guess you could say. They always include greek yogurt, frozen banana, frozen berries, and some form of fresh fruit. I can't figure out a way to make different flavored smoothies that still pack a nutritional punch and have good texture - I think my main problem is trying to find a substitute for the yogurt.

Although I am in LOVE with greek yogurt, it is very hard to make different kinds of smoothies with it because of its tart flavor. And I don't want to make a smoothie that doesn't have much protein because that's the key to keeping me full. Anyone have any solutions?

I wish I could try protein powder in my smoothies but I can't find any small-sized containers for me to try out - why do companies only sell protein powder packaged larger than the size of my head?? I have yet to figure that out.

Anyway, onto this morning's smoothie!

It included:

  • 1/2 cup Fage 0% greek yogurt
  • a few chunks of frozen mango
  • 1/2 a frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (I get mine at Costco)
  • 1/2 of a fresh orange
  • a handful of fresh blueberries
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of milk 


I poured mine into a bowl and topped it with 1/4 c Original All Bran cereal, 1/2 cup of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, and a handful of Kashi Honey Sunshine. 


This bowl was pretty good but it was missing a little something. I think I might freeze some of my fresh strawberries and pineapple to add to smoothies because I know that will have more flavor than packaged frozen fruit. 

What key ingredients do you use in smoothies? Do you use protein powder?

No comments:

Post a Comment