Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Refresh & Refocus

Today I hit up the pool with one of my friends - it felt great because it was so hot outside! We were planning on playing with her underwater camera but she accidentally forgot the battery. Bummer, but it means I have an excuse to see her again asap so we can take some fun pictures! Here's a picture of my new swimsuit, though! I love the bright colors and the patterns on the top.


******************************************************************************

Onto a more serious part of this post...
To be perfectly honest, I am not 100% confident with the way I look in a swimsuit right now. I know that my body is strong and beautiful but I also know that I am the one with the power to change how I look. The past couple of weeks have been very stressful and that has definitely translated into how I am treating my body. When life gets in the way sometimes I struggle with giving myself and my body the attention that I need because I am concentrating on other things. Just a few weeks of refocusing on eating nutritious food and listening to my body will help me feel a lot better about myself. Focusing on me - fueling my body properly, giving my body the exercise it craves, and centering myself spiritually - is so important.

 I am in no way aiming for what society calls a "perfect" body but with some more focus I know I will feel better about myself. Body image is definitely an issue I struggle with (as do many women) but I am the one in control of my body.

To refresh myself mentally, physically, and spiritually I am planning on focusing more on myself. Eating real, nutritious food, incorporating more strength training and yoga into my routine, and spending more time with God are a huge part of this. Listening to what my body craves and deserves and giving it what it needs is key.

I want anyone who reads my blog to know that I am not perfect by any means and struggle with body image just like everyone else. But we can all change that if we change our mentalities. My body is so strong and has powered me through races, triathlons, bike rides, runs, swims, and much, much more. I really appreciate that and on the days where I'm just not feeling good about myself I need to remember how much my body does for me. It is beautiful and truly a gift from God.

So here's to summer of refreshing, refocusing, and recharging!

My inspirational verse for the week is 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

Do you struggle with body image? What do you do to combat negative thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment