Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Happiness is a Choice. {Update.}

The past few weeks I have been struggling to keep a good balance of everything that is going on in my life. My lack of time to spend with family and on myself left me grumpy, frustrated, and angry for days.

When I realized that I have been in a perpetually bad mood for over a week, I knew that I needed to turn it around. My unhappiness was something that only I could change - so I began focusing on the little things that make me happy. Despite my crazy busy schedule I have been making an effort to get back to my usual upbeat and bubbly self, and so far, so good. 

These are my favorite de-stressers and pick-me-ups that always manage to put a smile on my face. 

1. Exercise. [especially of the martial arts, punch and kick it out type... BodyCombat is my new favorite!]
No matter how grouchy I am when I walk into the gym, I am always happier by the time I walk out those doors. This week I have made a really good effort to get my butt to the gym - even in the early a.m. 

Weekly Recap: 
Mon 12/5: BodyCombat class, 4 mile run
Tues 12/6: 20 min elliptical, 2 miles treadmill HIIT, 15 minute core workout
Wed 12/7: day off
Thurs 12/8: BodyPump, 15 min elliptical
Fri 12/9: BodyCombat, 10 min elliptical
Sat 12/10: BodyPump, 20 min elliptical, 1 mile run, 15 min core workout
Sun 12/11: Spinning class, 15 min stairclimber
Mon 12/12: BodyCombat, 20 min elliptical, 10 min abs
Tues 12/13: BodyPump 

Since last Monday, I have taken 3 BodyPump classes, 3 BodyCombat classes, 1 spinning class, and done 3 ab/core workouts. SO proud. 

2. Healthy, energizing food. [aka recent eats]

 {oats with flax or chia and puddles of pb}

 {yogurt with cereal and/or fruit}


{takeout salads, usually I add some form of protein like cottage cheese}
 {takeout from baja fresh - seasoned shrimp, romaine, pico de gallo, tortilla strips. i added white beans for some more staying power}
{eggs with ketchup. ugly but one of my favorites}
 {veggies with marinara sauce and nutritional yeast}
 {pizza grilled cheese: cheddar melted in between 2 crispy slices of nutty bread slathered with marinara}


3. Upbeat music. [lately, especially the Christmas variety.]
Current favorite: the new Glee Christmas album. 
Love this song in particular:


4. Cooking or baking. {even though melting chocolate and dipping pretzels in it doesn't quite qualify as baking. delicious nonetheless!}



5. Candles. 


6. Putting on a cute outfit.
Making an effort to wear something other than sweats or jeans and a sweatshirt always leaves me feeling happier about myself. 






What is your favorite way to boost your mood? 
Best Christmas song of all time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment