Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

WIAW #4 [The Beginning of NROLFW]

My brother gave me this awesome book for Christmas:


I was really excited and read practically the entire book on Christmas day! It was a highly entertaining yet info-packed book that I would highly recommend. I learned quite a few things that I never knew before about lifting and about nutrition.

I started the program on Monday, even though I am not sure I am going to be able to finish the full 8 stages of workouts provided (that would take 6 months). Track season starts up in a little under two months and I don't know if I should really stick with the program until then or kinda do my own thing. Thoughts?

Anyway, let's get onto the WIAW! (but really what I did on Monday ;))

Meal 1:

Eggs with spinach and mushrooms, and a piece of toast with this amazing TJ's apple butter:

santa knows how to do stockings. ;)

Meal 2:

Apple with a spoonful of all-natural peanut butter.

Midday Workout:
1-mile warmup run
NROLFW Stage 1A

So far I have been keeping track of all my workouts and meals on the NROLFW program in this handy little book:


And here's the workout! (yeah, need work on my handwriting.. haha)

The awesome thing is that since we have lots of dumbbells and two barbells with different weights (and a lat pull machine) in my garage, I didn't even need to leave the house to do this workout! Only bummer is that I don't own an exercise ball (which the original workout needed for the last move) so I subbed in something else, but it wasn't as hard.

Meal 3: 
Post-workout protein shake.
In the mix: 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, squirt of lemon juice, 1/2 cup almond milk


Meal 4:
Greek yogurt with a spoonful of apple butter mixed in (<-- heavenly!! try it. now.) and a new-to-me pistachio and walnut bar that I got in my stocking. The bar was pretty good but a little too sweet.


Meal 5: 
Veggie burger on an english muffin with Alexia baked french fries



Meal 6:
 Another apple with peanut butter and a few squares of this amazing dark chocolate (also courtesy of Santa)


All in all a very delicious day! :)

Even if I don't end up finishing out the whole NROLFW plan, I definitely have learned a lot of things from the book. One of those was that eating more frequently is just in general better for you. I'm so glad I tried this tip because almost ALL of my in between meal snacking (on dry cereal, nuts, etc.) has disappeared and I feel a lot more satisfied!

 The other thing I took away from the nutrition section of the book was that after a lifting session getting protein in your body quickly is very important. I've started drinking some form of protein smoothie after every lifting workout. I used to be starving and eat a ton of food on days that I lifted, but that problem has been solved with eating 5-6 mini meals a day and eating a lot more protein. I'm shooting for 100+ grams a day.

Have you read the New Rules of Lifting for Women? Thoughts? 
Do you eat mini meals or do you prefer larger, less frequent ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment