Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Long Run Saturdays

Good morning!

Today I had a little bit of a rough time getting up whatwith all the craziness of yesterday (trying to book plane tickets, finally getting them, booking a hotel/car, and finding out our flight was cancelled). I was exhausted by the time last night came around, so I went to bed early and crashed.

I got myself out of bed at around 7:15 and had a Kashi granola bar as pre-run fuel.


Saturdays at practice are long runs, and today the planned one was longer than I usually run on long days. Not too many people showed up to practice and I fell behind the varsity boys pretty quickly. There were only a couple of girls at practice and they either did a different run or cut the run short, so I was running solo for quite awhile.

Sometimes I like running alone with my thoughts but other times I really need other people to push me. And today was one of those days - I was really struggling. Since the route was new to me I was pushing to keep the pack of boys in front of me in sight so I wouldn't get lost.

It was a tough run. My hip joints were bothering me through most of it, which has been happening more often lately. I'm going to ask my doctor about it on Monday, and I have my fingers crossed that it's nothing serious. Ever since I can remember my hips have made popping/snapping sounds when I extend my leg and when I bring it back to my knee. I never thought too much of it, but since my hips have been bothering me lately I looked it up on the internet last night. This site describes exactly what I've been feeling - but hopefully my doctor will also have an explanation.

I did finish the run strong, with only a few walking breaks here and there. I had ended up turning back a little early once I lost the pack in front of me and didn't know for sure where I was going. According to MapMyRun it was a little short of 9 miles - longest run of the summer! Woot!

Came back to my school, stretched, and headed to the gym for 25 minutes of easy lifting. I missed my BodyPump class yesterday and was craving some strength training so this was perfect.

Post-workout fuel was a big yogurt mess. Plain greek yogurt, defrosted unsweetened frozen berries (the natural juices are so delicious!), Kellogg's All-Bran, and a drizzle of honey.


Didn't I say yogurt mess??


Not the most attractive looking breakfast but it was exactly what I was looking for.


Demolished!


Plans for the rest of the day include relaxing and spending time with the fam... Happy Saturday!!

What is the longest run you have ever been on? Believe it or not, my longest run has been 10 miles. I've ran plenty of 7s and 8s, a few 9.5s, but 10 was the furthest. I'm really excited to run a bit longer than my current PDR this upcoming season. Or maybe training for a half marathon in the winter??

No comments:

Post a Comment