Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Every summer, my family goes to the boardwalk. The past few summers it's been a trip that my dad, brother, and I take and I LOVE the tradition. I have been going to this boardwalk since I was a little girl and love it so much more than any other amusement park. It has the old, back in the day kind of feel and it is the perfect place to spend a summer day.

This morning I woke up nice and early, excited for our trip!

Breakfast was a big egg scramble with mushrooms and laughing cow, plus a golden peach on the side.



This golden peach was perfect and just screams summer fruit to me.


Then we were on our way to the boardwalk! Most of the way there I finished reading A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. It was such a good read, and usually I am not a memoir kind of girl, but this book just tugs at your heartstrings. I cannot imagine what it would've been like to be Jaycee during those 18 years of captivity. I highly recommend this book because it just reminded me of how much I have been blessed with and how much I should appreciate my life.

We finally arrived a few hours later to a cloudy, misty sky. Most of the trips I've taken to the boardwalk the weather has been perfect so I guess we're bound to have a few so-so weather days!


First stop in the park: the Giant Dipper. This wooden coaster is the 6th oldest coaster in the U.S. and was built in 1924! I honestly can say that this ride is the reason that we visit Santa Cruz every year. It may not be the most exciting roller coaster, but it has just enough intensity and it is so much FUN! I was screaming the whole ride. It never gets old :)


waitin' in line

the track!
After about five trips through the coaster we went on a few other rides, including the free fall ride. There was such a good view of the beach at the top, I wish I could've taken a photo!


Getting ready to fly!


Then we hit up the mini golf course (inside the park!! I haven't heard of a single other amusement park that has a mini golf course - part of the reason I love Santa Cruz!). The tickets we purchased included a few activities and we chose mini golf as one of them.

This course is so much more fun than any other course I've ever played at. It's pirate themed, two levels, and has a few holes in the dark with ultraviolet light. Not to mention the random spinner wheels that make you do random things on certain holes! Usually I'm not too big of a golf girl but this course has won me over.







ultraviolet light
After mini golf we sat down for lunch. As usual, we packed it - mine included a whole wheat english muffin with cheddar, cucs, and ranch.


A bunch of unpictured popchips and carrots were also consumed :)

On our way back to the Giant Dipper (again!) we stopped for a free popcorn that came with our ticket package. Yum!


the top of the giant dipper


The boardwalk just holds so many fun memories for me and I know that I will be bringing my kids here when I get older.

On the way home I totally zonked out and slept. I woke up with drool on my face (hahahhh) but feeling much more refreshed.

Afternoon snack was a chocolate protein smoothie that I slurped up so fast it evaded a photo. But I'm sure you guys have seen plenty! After a trip to Costco that was much needed my dad and I came home and I got started on dinner.


My mom has been working really hard lately so I wanted to make a special dinner for her - grandma's mac n cheese. It's a really simple recipe but we don't make it often because it's pretty rich. But it's a really comforting dish that I absolutely love. Stay tuned for the recipe!

What's your favorite recipe that your grandma used to make?
Favorite amusement park ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment