Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Birthday" Brancakes

Happy Sunday!!

Something about Sunday mornings just screams pancakes to me. When I was younger we would make pancakes without fail every weekend in every different shape, size, and color that you could imagine.

I haven't eaten pancakes in quite awhile and had a huge craving for them this morning. I didn't want to make carby cakes that didn't have fiber or protein, so I made a version my mom used to make for herself when we would eat pancakes as a family.

This version includes Kellogg's All-Bran cereal and I'm not sure that another cereal could work because the texture of this one isn't crunchy at all when you cook the cakes.

And since sprinkles make everything better, why not throw some in?


"Birthday" Brancakes
serves 1

  • 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
  • 3 Tbsp pancake mix (I used Bisquick) 
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 2 Tbsp egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • sprinkles
  • toppings: these cakes aren't very sugary so I suggest something sweet! Berries work really well but I think that pb or jam would also be fantastic. 
Mix all ingredients up to sprinkles togetehr in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes (this allows the cereal to soak up the liquid a little better). Spray a frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour out batter into cakes. Sprinkle the sprinkles onto the tops of the cakes. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, and check if bottoms are brown. Once the bottoms are cooked, flip and cook for another minute. Top & serve! 



I sliced some strawberries and added a little sugar before I cooked the brancakes and then microwaved the berries just before the cakes were done. I topped the cakes with the berries, a plop of greek yogurt, a drizzle of honey, and some extra sprinkles for good measure. 


This type of sprinkles is my favorite kind and they remind me of birthdays.


I really love the flavors of these cakes, but partly because they bring me back to those pancake-making days when I was little. I was the adventurous kid and would always try my mom's "healthy" pancakes - I think that's why I love the familiar bran flavor in these. 


Doughy, hot, delicious goodness. Yum!

These were so good I foresee a similar lunch... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment