Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Beans, Beans

Today's lunch included 2 types of beans (black and garbanzo) and was delicious.

I made a quesadilla with black beans, roasted red pepper hummus, spinach, and mushrooms. It was an interesting combo that I definitely wouldn't have tried a couple of years ago - but now these foods are some of my favorites!


Into the panini maker... I make all of my quesadillas in this baby and I love it!


Check out those grill marks (:




The hummus was almost cheese-like and the flavors went really well together. 


This lunch also got me thinking about vegetarianism (since it's meatless). I went vegetarian a while back but found that I was hungry a lot because I decreased my protein intake so much and was playing two sports. I really like the idea of being a vegetarian (environmental and animal reasons) but I felt like it limited my food choices and made it difficult when it came to planning family dinners.

One thing that my grandma (who was a dietitian!) told my mom when she was younger was this: you can eat whatever you want, but you don't have to make a statement about it. I find that this advice works really well for my lifestyle. Some people want to make a statement with their eating choices, and that is perfectly okay too! But for my life it works better if I don't make it a statement. I still eat chicken and turkey and occasionally have a bite of steak or a burger - but sometimes I can go a week without meat and not even realize it.

I think that reducing meat intake is helpful to the environment and animals, and eliminating it completely makes an even bigger statement. For me, eating vegetarian meals often and meat only every once in a while works perfectly.

Are you a vegetarian? What is your favorite vegetarian meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment