I was craving french toast for breakfast but decided that it would take too long to make (my tummy was growlin'!) so I went with some Kashi frozen waffles. I topped my waffles with dollops of pb, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a sprinkle of chia seeds and served them with some strawbs.
This breakfast didn't hold me over for long and soon I was dreaming of baking some sort of
Cinnamon Streusel Scones
makes about 16 small scones, 8 large
for the scones:
- 2 c flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup egg whites (you could use 2 full eggs)
- 1/2 cup cold cream
- 1/2 container greek yogurt (3 oz)
for the streusel:
- 2T brown sugar
- 1 T flour
- 1 T quick oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oil
- Preheat oven to 400. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon on low speed.
- Add cold butter and mix on low until the butter is the size of peas. Add cream, egg, and yogurt and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough out onto a floured cutting board and knead dough into a ball. Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick (1 inch if you want thicker scones).
- Mix together streusel ingredients and sprinkle the streusel out over your rolled dough. Roll over dough once with rolling pin to press streusel into the scones.
- Cut scones out with a circular cookie cutter (or slice into triangles) and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and tops are firm to the touch.
These are perfectly doughy and cinnamony and make the whole house smell wonderful. They are like a cross between coffee cake and scones and I love the way they turned out.
Lunch followed my baking project and was much more nutritious :)
Cucumbers, carrots, and red pepper hummus alongside an english muffin pizza. The perfect snack plate!
I'm off to cross some things off of my todo list (ahem returns to macy's that have been sitting in my room for months...) but I don't think I'll get very far because I'm SO pumped for Harry Potter tonight!!!!
What is included in your favorite snack plate?
Harry Potter at midnight, anyone?