Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Not-So-Overnight Oats in a Mug

Hi guys! Sorry for being MIA yesterday - I was quite the busy bee! First I had plans to meet up with two of my friends at the pool. It was great to cool off and catch up with them :)


  Then I came home and took another stab at making a homemade Frappucino. It turned out great and I'm going to post the recipe soon.



sad that it's all gone...



Then my friend Ryan called me up and we hung out last night. By the time I got home  I was exhausted, but I had a lot of fun! We went geocaching (have any of you ever been? It's awesome!) which meant walking and running around lots. We found 2 out of 4 geocaches, which is pretty good in my opinion! We also stopped for frozen yogurt - clearly I can't get enough of the stuff.


This morning's wake-up was awful again!! I need to fix my sleeping schedule or just suck it up and stop complaining about being tired, haha. I went to cross country practice, but before I went, I prepped some overnight oats. I figured that if they weren't thick by the time I got home for breakfast, I'd eat them for lunch.

Believe it or not, this is only my second time trying to make overnight oats. My first attempt was awful - the consistency and flavors were off, and I haven't tried to make them since. But when I saw the chia seeds on the counter I figured that they might help with the consistency and I gave it a go.

The result? A fantastically thick and flavorful extra-large mug of oats that was ready when I came home from practice! I was exhausted after running 7 miles for training and this was the perfect summertime breakfast.




In the mix (before):
  • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 container Oikos Honey Greek Yogurt
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1/4 frozen banana, diced (I don't like the flavor of banana to be too strong, so if you do like that flavor, feel free to add more!) 
  • crumble of walnut almond butter
  • sprinkle cinnamon
Added after:
  • 1 small container of fresh raspberries
  • splash of milk
  • drizzle (more like a plop!) of pb
  • extra walnut almond butter crumbles
This mug was amazing! I am now a converted overnight oats addict - I bet that this would be even thicker and more voluminous if I prep it the night before,

I'm off to shower and then I'm planning on getting some new playlists going for running. I'm also planning on baking - I'm having a Harry Potter movie night at my house with some friends tonight so I want to make sure we have some yummy treats for dessert!

do you like overnight oats? what's your favorite combo? 

No comments:

Post a Comment