Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zucchini Redemption

I decided to actually use a recipe for some zucchini muffins instead of just winging it (and ending up with last time's fail) - I went with Carlyn's zucchini bread recipe but changed it up a little bit.

Here's the recipe I ended up with!

Zucchini Muffins
makes 12

  • 1 1/2 c flour 
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • sprinkle of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/3 c greek yogurt
  • 3 tbsp milk + 1/4 tsp lemon juice = ~3T buttermilk
  • 1/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c zucchini, shredded
Mix the first 6 ingredients together and set aside. Mix egg, oil, yogurt, 'buttermilk', and sugar until well combined. Stir in shredded zucchini. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. Scoop into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. 

Redemption!!! Thank you Carlyn!!! 




Perfectly moist and fluffy muffins enjoyed hot out of the oven. I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on one and it was great!


Since I didn't add the walnuts and chocolate chips the original recipe called for, I think next time I would add a little more sugar. They were a little less sweet than I would've liked but that is very easily fixed! 

While the muffins were baking I enjoyed a lunch that included even more zucchini. 

Repeat of dinner a few nights ago: pasta with shredded zucchini, mushroom/olive pasta sauce, and asiago cheese. 



It was so yummy I licked my bowl clean - good thing I wasn't on a date, as my mom would say! But seriously I think bowl/plate licking should be perfectly acceptable manners. It's a form of praise and a compliment to the chef, right?


After a busy afternoon tackling a few things on my todo list and a grocery trip, I made a snack plate when I got home. Unfortunately I waited too long again to have a snack because I was too hungry to wait for dinner but it was so close to dinnertime that now I'm not too hungry! I'm sure the hunger monster inside of me will rear its head pretty soon though ;) 


Bowl licking - yay or nay?

2 comments:

  1. yay! Your muffins look great! I can see how they wouldn't be sweet enough without the chocolate chips. Another good topper would be almond butter! I'm glad you didn't give up on zucchini muffins :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look AMAZING!! :D I love using fruits and vegetables in muffins! I'm so glad that you never gave up. These look great!

    ReplyDelete